Pensacola International Airport History (Guide)
Pensacola International Airport (IATA: PNS, ICAO: KPNS) began its operation two years after the terminal was built in 1935. First airlines, Atlantic and Gulf Airlines, stopped operating at the airport couple of months after failing to get the airmail contract.
The airport was a U.S. Navy training base for a while from 1940 to 1945. In 1947 Eastern Air Lines started to operate through the airbase. Later, in 1952, all of the airlines' operations were moved to the new terminal that replaced the former one.
In 1978, after the Airlines Deregulation Act that introduced a free market in the commercial airline industry, several airlines started to serve their flights through the airport. The current terminal building was constructed in 1990, and AirTran Airways began its operation at the airport in 2001. After a long break, American Airlines started to operate through the airport again in 2004 as well. Few other airlines joined later on.